Apple is launching the marketing operations for what will be included in the new iPhone OS today. TimeDoctor Dot Org will list out the highlights so you don’t have to read all the liveblogs.
Only the important items are listed. Full details and executive sarcasm after the break, executive summary before it:
- Developers can now charge for subscriptions, DLC, in-app purchasing of content, etc. Of course, Apple still takes their 30% cut on all this.
- Bonjour-powered adhoc bluetooth pairing for multiplayer games and other applications.
- Accessories can communicate with software over the dock connector or via bluetooth.
- Fancy push notifications are in (sound effects, etc). Background processes aren’t.
- Developer access to built-in music is in.
- Copy and paste is in.
- Landscape (including keyboard) mode in all of Apple’s apps.
- Spotlight searching across many apps’ content.
- Stereo bluetooth for headphones.
- All developers have access to the beta versions of both the SDK and firmware now. NDA in full effect on beta versions.
- Ships this summer. iPhone 3G and iPhone 2G get it for free. $10 for iPod Touch. iPhone 2G will be missing some features.