After setting up an EU PSN account, I downloaded the Killzone 2 demo and here are my quick-take impressions as posted on my twitter feed:
- the killzone 2 menus are neat
- “Unass this thing” Really?
- yay, kz2 lets you remap controls so I can use my RealTriggersâ„¢
- I can’t make crouch a toggle, wtf?
- KZ2 graphics are beautiful.
- Acceleration on the view controls is a little weird, as is the fact that you can melee (rifle butt), or stick a knife into those pigs..
Finally, the gameplay is extremely similar to COD4:MW, this is not a bad thing. Right now I’m sure I buy the idea that the enemy AI is superior to that of the extreme dumbass AI in Gears 2. Though the Hellghast do seem to cycle through their routine faster, which is a nice change. It is also nice to see them attempting to flush me out with grenades instead of just vice-versa. Overall, an enjoyable demo, which ended with perhaps not the best slice of gameplay. I’m excited for the finished game later this month and will post a full review some time after the game is released then. Until then I will be content with the pile of games I haven’t finished yet and confused as to why on earth sony would push Resistence 2 over Killzone 2 last fall when KZ2 is arguably the superior game.
Many folks are like me, unwilling or unable to pre-order Killzone 2 from Gamestop in order to get the Killzone 2 demo. For whatever reason, here are step-by-step instructions for setting up an EU PSN account so you can download that demo without pre-ordering the full game:
- Create a new e-mail address from any free service like gmail.com
- Create a new user on your Playstation 3, you can do this from the left-most column of options on the XMB.
I suggest using a name like <YourRegularUsernameHere>EU. I have TimeDoctor as my regular PSN name, and TimeDoctorEU for the EU PSN downloads.
- Proceed to the second icon from the right of the XMB, “Playstation Network” and make a new Playstation Network account.
- Here you will want to select the United Kingdom as your Country or Region.
- Select English as your language, of course.
- Use the e-mail address you created earlier in the dialogs that follow.
- Use the username you created earlier as your new online ID.
- The last thing you’ll need to do is to find a valid address in the UK, and enter it.
I recommend placing yourself at TimeDoctor Games, Onslow House, Onslow Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4TN
But that is just a suggestion 🙂
- Go into the Playstation Store and download your free demo of Killzone 2!
Now you’re all set! If anything went wrong, feel free to ask in the comments. Don’t forget about all the other cool paid content the brits get that we don’t like Command and Conquer PS1 and Dark Mist! Also, these instructions can be used for almost any region, just find another mailing address and email address.