Stay Sharp, Stay Logical, Stay Supreme
The patch is available from numerous sites but they’ve allocated so little bandwidth to this 2GB file that I was reduced to tears, until I remembered these guys. For some of you, this will be the first time you’ve used a file-sharing program for a completely legal purpose, so savor the moment. You’ll need to install a torrent client of course.
Battlefield 2 has been updated again, Patch 1.50 Beta 2 brings these changes from Beta 1:
- Consensus to revert to 0.3 second delay between jump and prone – Fixed
- Mouse wheel acceleration on jeeps and APC’s – In Test
- Mouse wheel acceleration on parachutes – In Test
- Falcon controller prevents joystick controls being assigned to work especially on jets and helicopters. Falcon always acts as primary controller for pitch and roll. Resets to Falcon at the start of every round. – Fixed
- The jets on Highway Tampa were replaced with attack choppers in 1.50 – Fixed, Highway Tampa is now as it was in 1.41
- The graphics for Highway Tampa are the same as Mashtuur City on create a local match in the menu and load screen. – Fixed
- Picking up the kit of a player who disconnected causes crashes – In Test
- Audio settings do not always save after clicking APPLY – Fixed
- Registry Version remains at 1.4 after Update 1.5 is installed – Fixed
- BF2OpenAL.dll was version 22.214.171.124 – Fixed – Updated to version 126.96.36.199
- ch_gas_station collision mesh on Dragon Valley was inconsistent with other gas station buildings – Fixed
- MEC artillery piece on Operation Clean Sweep changes to the USMC’s control when they capture the Airfield flag – Fixed
- Challenger2 HUD icon was incorrect showing M1A2 HUD icon instead – Fixed
- Road to Jalalabad has PLA FAV spawn in place of a MEC FAV – Fixed
- Dragon Valley Chinese artillery used default respawn time instead of 360 seconds as other artillery uses – Fixed
- Bizon (PP-19) had no delay time after weapon switch – Fixed (this now has a delay of 0.666)
- F35B had a lock delay of 1.5 compared to 1 second lock delay of other aircraft – Fixed
- Incorrect camo Humvee was being spawned in Taraba Quarry – Fixed
- UH-60 (Black Hawk) guns had 0.25 splash damage setting, down from 3 making it difficult to hit infantry. – Fixed (this is now set to 1.5 to improve the UH-60’s usefulness while not allowing it to dominate)
- It was impossible to pass a claymore unless an engineer disarmed it first. – Fixed (players can now go prone to pass the claymore)
- Allow BF2.exe to use more than 2Gb RAM on machines that support it – Fixed
Download the 1.3 GB monstrosity via Fileplay.net.
The OLNEY clan went out for a spin with the Battlefield 2 1.50 beta patch tonight. By far the best new feature is that the disc is no longer required to be in the drive while playing. This game is 4 years old now; why keep up that ridiculous charade?
Also new to the patch is the map you can see above, Operation Blue Pearl. This is a Chinese versus the United States map, and it is really well done in my opinion. Armor and infantry battle it out at various points along the map. Some of the bridges are raised high with slopes on which you can hide anti-tank mines. There is even a path for water vehicles and a unique sniper perch similar to the one in Gulf of Oman.
The ability for native wide screen support is also a very welcome addition.
The beta 1.50 patch’s real issues are that some people are having trouble getting their joysticks working, most everyone is having issues even joining servers, and that hardly anybody is using 1.50. I’d guess they’re staying away due to the bugs.
It is really incredible that DICE has managed to add so much to Battlefield 2 over these years and left so many flaws in. The game still takes longer to load a level than Crysis or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Unfortunately, this patch retains the bug where you have to go into task manager (CTRL+ALT+ESC) and set your processor affinity to just one CPU instead of two, otherwise the game is unstable online. Why?
Oh well, it is still Battlefield and I’m happy to be able to keep my disc out of the drive. Hopefully DICE will put enough resources behind BF2 1.50 and actually fix the issues in short order. 1.50 has taken a long time and the community remains strong in the face of games with arguably better infantry feel mainly due to the larger maps and more interesting vehicles.
Finally, DICE and EA have released the 1.50 Beta Patch for Battlefield 2. It adds one new map (Blue Pearl) and includes the previously optional download of Highway Tampa. Here is the complete list of changes:
- Additional support for Windows Vista.
- Added Highway Tampa as a required map.
- Added a new map called Operation Blue Pearl.
- Added support for Widescreen resolutions
- Added support for the Novint Falcon controller – www.novint.com
- Changes made to both the J10 and F35B to make them more balanced. Please note that the J10 is a superior dogfighter to the F35B and as such these two aircraft will never be equally matched.
- AA targeting tweaked to make it more effective.
- Added checks to prevent “runway grieving”.
- Various changes made to prevent cheating.
- Tweaked the hit detection, hits will be more accurate to the model.
- Increased the time to go prone after jumping from 0.3 seconds to 0.7 seconds
- Fixed G36E HUD during sprinting to match other weapons.
The update comes in pretty huge at 1.26GB and requires the game to be updated to version 1.41 already.